Career Compass Programme
In our “Riding the Career Carousel” research, Chiumento challenged whether the concept of the career ladder was still valid. Flatter and leaner organisations, lower staff turnover and the lifting of the Default Retirement Age (DRA) are just some of the ingredients in a new career reality. So if “promotion” is no longer the definition of career success, what is?
Our Career Compass programme is designed to help individuals come to terms with the new career realities. It helps delegates to focus on what is important to them and critically to take ownership of their own career development. The emphasis is on helping them to thrive within their existing organisation – gaining new focus, energy and resilience. For you that means a more engaged individual with realistic career expectations that they can clearly articulate via a structured career development plan.
The Career Compass Programme would ideally suit:-
- Highly valued individuals who are at a career crossroads and uncertain as to which direction to take
- Individuals who have become frustrated at lack of traditional promotion opportunities and need to re-think their career goals
- Individuals who expect career management to be something “done to them” by the organisation – empowering them to take control
- Individuals who need help in deciding if a particular career path is right for them – eg management v technical specialism
- Organisations who are looking to validate succession plans – ie does the career path mapped for an individual align with their personal aspirations and drivers?
- Individuals who need to think through whether their career aspirations can be achieved within an existing role or organisation
This Career Compass Programme helps individuals establish:-
- Where they are today
- The type of career that will energise them to perform and maximise their engagement – M (Motivation)
- Recognise their existing capability – C (Capability)
- Take ownership of career planning and development – D (Development)
- Recognise and understand opportunity and understand the “price of entry” to the career of their choice – O (Opportunity)
- Plot a course to the future using a structured career plan
Format: self-directed learning pack
- Understanding my motivation – what does career success mean to me?
- What do I have to offer – what experience, skills and knowledge do I already have?
- Where does my career fit in my wider life – what is my “price of entry”?
- What is my “dream job”?
Format: 1 day workshop
- Exploring motivation – how it shapes our sense of worth at work
- Building on my strengths – recognising transferable skills
- What is development
- Taking ownership
- Understanding the career planning template
Format: self-directed learning using a bespoke template
- Preparing a draft career development plan
- Identifying development opportunities
Format: 1 x 90 minute coaching session
- Independent advice and challenge around career plan
- Broadening approach to development opportunities
- Benchmarking – eg “how do I compare?”
- Confidence building
- Overcoming barriers to success